Sunday, May 18, 2014

Book Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (Contains Spoilers) + News!



Hello darlings. Alright, so as you know I've been done with The Darkest Minds for a while, and I'm waiting for an opportunity to get the other books of this series, so I also read the Dreamhouse Kings series. I'm currently on the 3rd book, Gatekeepers, and soon I'll be done. I think I'm going to do smaller reviews on those books, but I'm not sure yet. Plus, Supernatural, and Hannibal are almost in their own season finales, so I will (hopefully) write them soon. Until then, enjoy!

What Happens: 

This girl, Ruby, discovers that she as this power, but it's dangerous. Her parents send her to a camp, along with other kids who have the same sort of power, but not the exact. There are four colors in which these kids are assigned to, depending on their power. Red is fire, Blue is telekinesis, Green is intelligence, yellow is electricity, and orange (being the most dangerous) is mind control. Now, I'm going to let you guys figure out which power Ruby has. (HINT: IT'S  ORANGE) Anyways, six years in the camp, she finally escapes with a doctor Kate. Anyway, as she is escaping with Kate and Martin (aka psycho), they both meet up with another guy (Kate's Boyfriend), they go get changed into other clothes, and then it all goes down. All of a sudden everyone's being chased, and Ruby ends up in the back seat of a van, which is when she meets Liam Stewart, Chubs, and Su. They each have their own powers, and they're trying to find the Slip Kid, who takes them to a beautiful place, and it's where all the camp fugitives go to. I'm not gonna go into complete detail on what happens throughout the whole book, so I'm going to skip some parts and go straight to where it all goes down. So they find the Slip Kid, who appears to be a nice person, but actually he isn't. His real name is Clancy Gray, and he's the son of the President, who is sending all the kids to the camps. But the camp Clancy has is just like his father's, only it looks prettier, and he's manipulating people, because he's an Orange. At first he starts teaching Ruby about her powers, but actually he's just trying to get into her mind, in order to control her. He separates her from Liam, Chubs, and Su goes to California with her cousin. When Ruby, Liam, and Chubs try to escape, everyone is being brainwashed and they can't leave. When they finally do escape, they go hand in the letter to their friend who died when trying to escape camp with Liam (don't remember the name, sorry). Ruby then hits the Panic Button that Kate gave her, and Chubs is shot. I believe they do give the letter, and Chubs is fine. In the end, Ruby erases Liam's memory, and leaves them.

My Opinion: 

I really like this book, and I want to read it again, so I can remember more details from it. Unfortunately since it was a library book, I have to give it back, and I only read it the day before it was due. I also really want to read the second book, which I need to find. I remember after reading the book, going on Youtube to watch PolandBananasBOOKS booktalk about this book, which I will leave a link to at the end! I think this is an overall great book, I love the characters, and I love all the character development that happened.

Favorite Part:

I'm torn between the scene where Liam and Ruby are in the van holding hands, and when Ruby and Su are picking clothes for eachother. Either way I thought those scenes were adorable!

Conclusion:

I think you should read it. I mean who doesn't want to get their heart broken into millions of pieces. I know I sure love it!

Bonus (Reaction Gif):


Me at the end of the book. *cries*

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90NS3uB8LxI

-FeatheryMoose1

No comments:

Post a Comment